Pediatric Palliative Care Benefit
The Partners For Children (PFC) Pediatric Palliative Care Benefit is a program that allows eligible children and their families to receive palliative care services during the course of the child’s illness, while concurrently pursuing curative treatment for the child’s life limiting or life threatening medical condition.
Learn more about PFC and how your family can access this benefit through Medi-Cal on the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) website.
Partners For Children Service Area
PFC is currently available in nine California counties: Alameda, Fresno, Los Angeles, Marin, Monterey, Orange, San Francisco, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz and Sonoma.
- Caring Connections
- Coastal Kids Home Care
- Hinds Hospice
- Hospice By the Bay
- Trinity Kids Care
The Medi-Cal program, which is facilitated through a Home and Community-Based Federal Waiver, was extended through 2017. California Children’s Services plans to expand the program to up to 14 additional counties during this period.
Services Offered through Partners For Children
Designed to meet the needs of the whole person – physical, psychological, spiritual, emotional, and social – PFC services include:
- Care coordination
- Pain and symptom management
- 24/7 on-call nursing care
- Expressive therapies like art, music, massage and play
- Family education and training on palliative care issues
- Support counseling for children and families
We recognize and thank CHPCC’s public policy committee for their strategic guidance and expertise in CHPCC’s ongoing conversations and negotiations with DHCS. Organizations represented on the public policy committee include:
- California Children’s Hospital Association (CCHA)
- California Association for Health Services at Home (CAHSAH)
- California Hospice and Palliative Care Association (CHAPCA)
- Compassionate Care Coalition of California (CCCC)
- Children’s Specialty Care Coalition
- Child Life Specialist Coalition
- End-of-Life Nursing Education Consortium (ELNEC)
- George Mark Children’s House